6 Hotels in Grosseto , Italy
Grosseto is located in the southern part of Tuscany, it is the province with the greatest territorial extension starting north, shortly before the city of Follonica, northeast from the medieval town of Massa Marittima and south-east from the Amiata Mount: The citizen of Grosseto call "Maremma" the part of the territory set between the mountainside and the sea, from the Spanish word 'marismas' that it means swamp.
Grosseto is today a modern agricultural, industrial and trade centre city stretching along the right bank of the Ombrone river. The city center is piazza Rosselli, the square connecting through the corso Carducci to the characteristic historical center. To visit there is the Maremma Archaeological museum of Art, the Dome and the Medicea Fortress, a fortified complex of the XVI century from which it begins the ancient city walls that delimit the historical center.
In the VII century b.C. the Etruscans founded the first territory takeovers at Sovana, Sorano, Pitigliano, Roselle and Vetulonia, all places where the rests of their great culture can still today be seen but the foundation of Grosseto dates back perhaps to IX the century, as a village of passage for the travellers along the via Aurelia that since the III century b.C. it was the road that connected Rome to Pisa. In that age Grosseto was set more close to the sea and in 935, when Roselle was destroyed by the Saracens, the role of the city became even more important. Later on the Romans set them in Vulci and from the IX to the XIII century Grosseto passed under the dominion of the Aldobrandeschi, that they constructed the greater part of the fortresses and the existing castles in the territory. At the beginning of the XIII century the Aldobrandeschi came deprives of authority by Siena that on the XVI century were replaced by Florence.
The Maremma territory was mostly a swam, until the half of the XIX century, when people became ill of malaria and the medium age of the inhabitants was around twenty years of life. The first land accration works were made by the Granduchi di Lorena and later on also by Mussolini. During summer, the population of Grosseto moved on the hills around Scansano, for the swamp did not allow to cultivate the land and for this reason, the province was thenconsidered to be the most poor in Tuscany. From 1138 it became episcopal center, until 1336, year of the power of Siena and the city was under the dominion of the Aldobrandeschi. Under the Medici, with the Granducato of Tuscany, the living conditions began to improve after the division from Siena in 1766, the granduca Leopoldo began the construction of channels, moving rivers and filling up the swamps with detritus and began the restructure of the territory. Other works followed in the XIX century and the years 1930.
Until little decades ago, the main resource of this wild territory it was represented by hunting but, after the land work, in the territory it began the land cultivation and the economic increase. Grosseto is nowadays a more tourist destination, very much attended and reknown also in the foreign countries, a lot attractive under the naturalistic profile and it offers modern accommodation structures, to the vanguard in the turist activities, with good Hotels and Aparthotels as well as many Bed and Breakfast and Farm holidays.
Sort or filter by:
Preferred Hotels in Grosseto , Italy
Località in provincia di GrossetoAlbinia Arcidosso Argentario Capalbio Castiglione della Pescaia Civitella Paganico and Pari Follonica Fonteblanda Isle of Giglio Magliano in Toscana Manciano Massa Marittima Orbetello Pitigliano Porto Ercole Porto Santo Stefano Punta Ala Roccastrada Saturnia Scansano Scarlino Semproniano Sorano Sovana Talamone
About Grosseto , Italy
Longitude:11° 66' 0'' E (11.108889)